Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunchbox88

Programmer
Feb 17, 2004
US
I'm creating an ASP.NET application that has a login page and would like some input on the best method for doing this. I've created logins before in VB6 with a big ugly embedded if (never in .NET, and never for the web), and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Is it possible to use an Input Validation Control (like <asp:RegularExpressionValidator> )?

I'm mostly self taught so I don't always know the best way to go about things.

I am not sure what you are asking. Can you be a little more specific?

There are a lot of postings about security and logins that you can search for in this forum.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Thanks - Jennifer

I'm creating an ASP.NET/VB.NET web application that users will have to log in to. I was wondering the best way to have the username and password authenticated.

Do I have to go through the database where their usernames and passwords are stored, and check each against the values they enter in to the textboxes on the login webpage, or is there an easier way to do it? I've done something similar (just not on a webpage and not in .NET, but VB6) before with a really big and ugly if statement.

Do I have to do this again, or can I use Input Validation Control (like <asp:RegularExpressionValidator> )?

Is it possible to log them in automatically based on their domain login and password?

I hope this clarifies...Thanks!

Yes, it is possible for a user to login with their domain user name and password.

If your domain is using LDAP, then you can use the LDAP:// provider to authenticate your users.

If your domain is not using LDAP, then you can use the WinNT:// provider to authenticate your users.

Here's an MSDN sample of authentication using AD:

Hope that helps :)

-----------------------------------------------
"The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the entire universe."
-Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Firstly, I apologise for adding on the end of a post however I too am attempting to write login code to our domain. The only difference is my company doesn't use LDAP. Does anyone know of any samples/resources about the WinNT:// provider? Any help would be appreciated.

Alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back