Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOGIN TO NT DOMAIN VIA CISCO ASYNC DIAL IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza6373

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
GB
Hello All. Hope Someone can solve this problem for me!

I have set-up a cisco 2620 at our central site with a Async 8 port analogue modem card. This allows our remote lap-top users to connect to our LAN via the PSTN. They call ther central site, then the router calls them back on gives them an IP address etc. The users can then access our Unix and e-mail servers etc.

The problem is that when I specify 'Login To Domain' on Windows 98 dial up networking, the first time a error (No Domain Server could be found) occurs, but clicking on the OK button then makes the connection work logging in the user to the NT4 domain with all relevabt drive mappings etc.

Why does'nt the dial-in connection login to the NT 4 server first time? Is there a work aroud this ?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Why not load an LMHOST file on the remotes with the PDC's IP that is preloaded into cache? this prevents the router having to build up the route to the PDC and all that nonsense. Normally the workstation has to broadcast a UDP connection to find the PDC, then IP takes over. It gets messier if there is an issue with WINS for the name resolution.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Hi.

Thanks for the tip, but this has not solved the problem. Heres what happens:-

I dial into the cisco 2620 router from home over the analogue PSTN line, the router then checks the login and password and asks for a dial back number. The line is then dropped and the Cisco router calls me back at home. It gives me a IP address etc from the allocated pool. I can ping my NT servers at this time.
The problem is, then the NT Server 3 box login appears, I type in my password, and after a short while the error 'No Domain Server Available' comes up. I click OK to proceed (leaving the same credentials) and the PC then logs in in fine and I can map drives/run login scripts. Everything then work fine at from then on.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back