Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login thought the Novell Client to the server form a remote network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNelson12

Technical User
Sep 5, 2007
My name is Tyler Nelson I am 14 and have my own Novell Server for Personal/Home use and need to be able to get to the server from my laptop at a remote location.

I can get in to it locally but can not get to it because I do not have ports forwarded. I need to know which ones I need to forward and what field I need to put the port in on the client

Thanks,
Tyler Nelson

Tyler, if you're using NAT in your home network, you will not be able to use this. NCP (Novell Core Protocol), which runs on Port 524, cannot cross over a NAT configuration. When you try this, it corrupts the packets. This is true even if you are forwarding the ports correctly.

A better way to do this would be to use a VPN to establish a secure remote connection, then go straight in without going through NAT.

If you do not have VPN capabilities, check out the Astaro Secure Gateway You can get a home license that has no limitations and includes vpn access.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Ok thanks

Ok now how do you set Astaro Secure Gateway up. Can you install it on the novell system and get to it like that?

Thanks
Tyler Nelson

Nope. Download the CD from Astaro. Install it on a separate box. Toss out your Linksys cablerouter and put the astaro in its place.

The astaro cannot run on another operating system. It will wipe it out if you try.

Also, note that Astaro has nothing to do with Novell.. It's a completely separate product / vendor.

Install = Put CD in drive, boot, follow instructions. Very simple.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Ok It might be a while until I can get a hold of another computer so I will see what happens

One last question how do I get a home license from them?

Thanks
Tyler Nelson

Ok Thanks I created an account

Now I just have to find a computer to put it on

Thanks
Tyler Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back