Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirchyBoy

MIS
Aug 25, 2001
GB
Anyone know of any good docs for NT login script setup? I´m looking to setup mapped drives...not too fussed about other stuff....I assume you use the script directory on Winnt...

Some example scripts would be helpful!

Setting up mapped drives is just about the easiest thing you can do with log on scripts.

Just create a batch file in the domain controllers netlogon share with something like:

REM **Map network drives**
NET USE O: \\server\share /YES

Shout if you get stuck as I know I have been a bit brief here!

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Once that script is created in the proper location, do you have to do anything special to have it 'run' during client logins? Can you make it active for some users and not others?

Thanks.

Yes, you can specify in user manager on the profile tab which logon script the user should use.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

you can do some like this:

Dim WshNetwork
Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "L:", "\\ITDW02F2\Sites"
WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "S:", "\\mcad01\systems"
WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "R:", "\\mcad01\Requisition"

make sure you save the file as a .vbs

hope this help

If you have Win95 machines and Win98 you may have to install the Windows Script Host program.

Dear sirs!
But if i have 200 users, i have to specify logon script in User Manager for every user?
Thanks!

I recommend using a logon batch file. Create a batch file and put the commands you want in it and specify the bat in user manager.

I also highly recommend using kixtart.

Thank you for reply! Is there any way to assign batch script to all domain users centrally, not clicking options of each user?

run NET HELP USER from a cmd prompt...this will tell you all you need to know...

Remember: Backups save jobs!!!
;-)

By control-clicking you can select multiple users in User Manager. After you hit Enter you can assign the same bat file to everyone of them.

Greetings, Dutch

Like Dutch62 said, in User Manager you can select multiple users, then press enter. This way you can enter settings to affect a lot of users as once. You can select single ones with ctrl-click, or entire sections with shift-click.

Additionaly, when you are doing this, you can enter
\\myNTserver\myHOMEshare\%username%
in the Home Directory section. This way, you assign all these users a home directory in \\myNTserver\myHOMEshare\ with their username.
Example:
\\dellnt\home$\%username%

I hope this is useful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back