Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login scripts not running 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

john1967

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hello all! I need help but that’s another story

I’m running NT 40 with win 95.98 clients and the problem is that when logging on the clients the logon script executes intermittently. All users are using the same script saved on both PDC and BDC my question is:

How do I get the script to running every time?

What’s the difference between scripts save within c\WINNT\system32\Repl\Export\Scripts and C:WINNT\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts ?
To be safe I saved the script in both Export and Import folders on both PDC and BDC

If is really annoying as I’ve been looking for the answer for a couple of weeks now

Any help would be appreciated
john1967

The export\scripts directory is only there for replication. This is where you place scripts that will be copied to other domain controllers on a regular basis - if you have replication set up. The import\scripts directory is actually shared on the network as NETLOGON. This is the default place that clients go to find logon scripts, policy files, etc.

If memory serves, Windows 9x clients always get their logon scripts from the PDC. Make sure your scripts there are up to date.

Hope this helps :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

In there user profile where you specifiy where the script is loacted, instead of putting a static server put this entry in %logonserver%\"path to your scripts",

i.e

User tbhatt
Path %logonserver%\script.bat

That will check the server on which the user authenticates from and will run the login script from there.

TB :)

I have a similar problem. I have a NT 4.0 PDC and all the NT 4.0 Workstation have no problems logging on. But a Windows 2000 client sometimes runs the logon script and sometimes doesn't. A Dos box starts but closes immediately and I'm sure it's not the logon script itself since I put a "pause" as first line and it doesn't do that.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

I have a similar problem to toschi. I have an NT4.0 PDC
and three WIN2K clients mostly don't run their logon scripts anymore. This happened only a few weeks ago and I have other WIN2K clients on the network which do not experience this problem. Checking the Event Log I found the following error.

No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is
available for Domain SARO. The following error occured.
There are currently no logon servers available to service
the logon request.

There is an extra delay at the login/authentification stage which is consistent with this error. However the PDC is "visible" to the client for sharing and I can happily mount shares from it.

If I remove the client from the DOMAIN and try to add it back again, it again complains about not finding a domain controller. If I'm persistent it does eventually succeed.

It doesn't seem to be an activity problem because the same thing occurs after hours when many machines are switched off.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks
Hank

Hi all,

I had the same problem. I put a small batch file in the allusers startup directory on the client that points to a file on the server. The file on the client never changes. The file on the server is actually the logon script and you need only make one change at the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back