Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Scripts not executing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skotman

ISP
Sep 11, 2003
US
Ok, this is a strange one. I've got my DC set up and running. I want to add login scripts to my users profiles. I've gotten the script written (just a net send and a some mappings), but for some reason it's not running when the user logs in.
In the profile tab, I have just the script name, the script is located in the //server/netlogon share. it runs fine when I run it manually.
Any ideas would be GREATLY apreciated.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

ok, in the user profile, the login script should be called username.bat. You don't need to put in the \\server\netlogon, just the username.bat.

If this is correct, check the event logs on the workstations (if they are 2000/xp), they can give you good indications of anything being wrong.

Also, open a command prompt on one of the workstations. Run IPCONFIG /ALL and check your DNS settings. Are they set from the ISP or for your local DNS server?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

I want the same script to run for all users, do I still have to create a script for each username?
The DNS is being set from my DC.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

No, you can create one login script for all users...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

If you want to use the same login script for all users then set a policy in Windows Settings under the user config there is a place for login scripts. You can place that policy there and it will affect all users in that OU.

Place the logon script in the Netlogon folder. Since u r using NET commands, name your fild with .bat extension. Check the security permission of the file make sure it's set to everyone and have read,execute permission on it. Otherwise, it won't run. Then u can just enter the file name at each users profile.

Another easy way is to write a WSH script and place it at the OU and set it to grop policy. Remember to set the file permission to allow read/execute for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back