Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2004
US
I am using the

net use u: \\servername\user\%USERNAME$%

Each user share is followed by a$ ex.johndoe$

When using the above net use command the user cannot access it. Any suggestions?

What do you mean they can not acces it, they see it but can not read the contents, or does it just not appear..??

What OS are they running on the machines they are using to access it.??

Mark Morton, MCSA, MCP, SNA, CCA

The problem is that we use hidden shares on our net work and are trying to make one login script per department.

I have tried using this:
net use u: \\servername\user\%USERNAME%

But the problem is it maps the drive but it is unaccessable access denied because it is mapping to their name minus the $

I am curious if you know of any parameters that can be used with the %username% to specify hidden shares.

LittleOne123456,

Try this?
net use u: \\servername\user\%USERNAME%$

But if you use administrative hidden share, you're asking for trouble for the majority of users?

regards - tsuji

We made the users folder the hidden one.
\\servername\users$\%USERNAME%

That works fine. And the content is hidden.

// Itchiban

No that does not work
net use u: \\servername\user\%USERNAME%$

or

\\servername\users$\%USERNAME%

system error 53 has occurred and does not map the drive

Use the following:
net use u: \\servername\%username%$

The share does not have to be qualified to the directory "users" just to the server. The username variable does not contain the $ so that must be outside the "%"s.

Verify that the proper user have rights to that share. I only permit Administrator and that user to have rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back