Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
What is the 'recommended' way to run a login script that shows a dialog box (such as a license agreement) for each user as they log onto the computer and/or Domain?

Thanks for any pointers on this,
--jsteph

Here's how to do it in an NT Domain Structure With NT/2k clients...

i. From a Windows NT/2000 machine, run POLEDIT.EXE
ii. Select File\New Policy
iii. Double-click “Default Computer”
iv. Expand the “Windows NT System” line
v. Expand the “Logon” line
vi. Select the “Logon banner”. There should be a checkmark in the box.
vii. Enter “This Is The Title” in the Caption field (without the quotation marks)
viii. Enter “This IS A WARNING as an Example" in the Text field (without the quotation marks).

Save the file as NTCONFIG.POL.

copy the ntconfig.pol to the \\servername\c$\winnt\system32\repl\export\scripts folder on the Domain Controller acting as the Export Server.

You'll need to logoff/on to the computer once then when you hit cntr/alt/del it will display the Logon Banner..assuming the computer is a member of the domain, runs a logon script/etc....
Hope This Helps

JR

I've created the .pol file, but I haven't implemented that yet. It doesn't appear that this will bring up a dialog box with choices--ie, like a license agreement.

I need something where the user must check or Click 'Yes' or 'No', then this fact must be logged to a file or a database, regardless of answer, but the 'No' answer's will not be allowed to continue logging on.

I'm considering changing the Winlogon Shell in the registry to some program I'll write in VB, which will then shell Explorer.exe if user hit's 'Yes', and log the user out if he hit's 'No', while logging the time and the user and the yes/no answer to a database.
--Jsteph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back