Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Script which Renames Computer Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasithg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
LK
Hi there,
I'm planning to use Norton ghost on a Corporate environment to minimize time spent on SW installing. Each machine in the network is assgined a specific computer name(Say A1,A2,A3....)I have been able to record the MAC Address of each of the machines.
Since the cloned ghost image will contain the same Computer Name, I want to Use a Login Script to Change the Computer Name based on the Mac Address (i.e. I will fix the name of each of the Computers based on the Mac address.)

I allready can extract the Mac Address from the Computer via a Vb Script. What I dont know is how to Change it's machine Name. I'm hoping to keep a static list of computer names and mac addresses in the login script.

The Clients are Windows 98/2000 and are provided a fixed IP based on the Mac Address.

Thanks in advance
Lg

You cannot change a computer’s name in a login script, or at least you would never want to. Why don't you change the name of the workstation, right after you put the ghost image on it? It’s quick and easy to do. For the Win2k workstations you need to use SysPrep before you ghost it. If you don't and if you have Active Directory you will have problems with the duplicate SIDs on your Win2k boxes. SysPrep doesn't work on Win9x so you will have to change the name manually.

MikeL

as you are using Norton Ghost, you can directly after cloning use the sid change tool (ghostwalk) wich comes with Norton Ghost. It allso allows you to change the computer name.

I agree with ProfFate. set your workstation up with all of it's apps and settings. the last step is run sysprep, which is free from microsoft's dload site. don't reboot. instead boot with the ghost boot disk and clone your image. then, every time you set up a new workstation using that image, it will start up and go through the sysprep routine and everything will be set up in your domain(s)and life will be groovy.

festus mcshamus, mcse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back