Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Script Errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsal

Technical User
Oct 29, 2005
US
I just added a new user and logged in and got the following results for the container login script.

LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-470: The specified drive mapping is an invalid path:
(F:=SALLAW_FS\SYS:USER\JWS)

The strange thing is everything mapped properly including F drive. Any ideas on what I could check. I did have some things configured wrong the first few times I tried to log in. Could this error be left over from previous logins. I'm a newbie so any help would be appreciated.

You may have a persistent mapping that was done manually from the workstations. Best thing to do would be login as workstation only, delete any network mappings, then login and see what kind of errors you get.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

also nice for future
dats should never be stored on sys

Or it could be a rights issue? User has not got rights to the directory, hence the invalid path message? When the user is logged on, can you map it manually?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

I just finished up 2 hours of messing around with the same problem.

I did not get any error messages, the new user simply would not map some of the drives in the login script. I could map them after the user was logged in.

Finally remembered something similiar a few months ago, located my notes. I used NWADMIN32, and right clicked on the new user, selected Trustees of This Object. I added [Public] as a trustee, and checked "Browse" in the Object rights, and "compare" and "Read" in the Property rights.

Now he can map drives like a big dog.

Last time this happened, I put those settings in the "Default User" Template that I use to create new users. Anyone know why it did not work when I created the user?

Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

Nothing against Paul... maybe that worked.. but I wouldn't consider that a good solution. I also don't see how that would have anything to do with the ability to map drives. NDS and File system rights are a completely different thing.

Also, I consider that a security risk. I don't want the [public] object to be able to read my user object info.

What is the syntax that is being used in the script? There are different formats that you can use, and sometimes you need to find one that works.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi TheLad,

I printed out the TID, and will check it out.

not sure that it applies, because I do not get any login errors. The user simply is unable to map the drives that he is assigned as member of a group. No errors are displayed!

Marv,

I guess I can understand the security risk.

This is the system where I have added a new 6.5 Server, and moved data and programs from the old 5.0 Server rather than run a "Migration".

In the system, I have maybe 3 "classes" of users.

Some folks have been here since the days of netware 3.11, and have migrated upstream several times. If I check the "Trustees of This Object" in NWAdmin32, every one has [Public] and [Root] listed as trustees. If I check the Effective Rights, both Public and Root have only "Browse" rights. Understand, these users have no problem with any mappings assigned in the Login Script.

I have a few newer users, mostly installed under Netware 5.0, that were put in kind of "ad hoc". If I check "Trustees of This User", I get a hodge-podge of results. Most have Root and Public as Trustees, and various properties are checked. Some have every single property checked. When I created them, I am certain that I did not assign any Trustee rights at all. I bet those are Security Risks!

Finnally, I created a "Default" Template some time back (5.0 days) so our local Admin gal can create new users. The template just makes sure that a home directory is assigned, she could never remember to create the directory. If I create a new user with this, (10 minutes ago) the Trustees listed are just the Admin user that I created it with, and my own login, which is Admin Equivalent. No Public, No Root. They are not able to map drives assigned by groups they belong to. No errors are generated. After login, I can map the drives from the client, no problem. If I make them identical to the "Legacy" guys, (Root and Public = Browse) they still do not map any drives. When I go back to the user, and set Public to Compare and Read, they can map drives.

It occurs to me as I write this to delete the old Template and create a new one. Any idea if I should assign any Trustee rights in the Template? I tried it on the current one, which may be "broke" in 6.5, and they do not get assigned.

BTW, here is the drive mappings from Login Script --

IF MEMBER OF "SALES" THEN BEGIN
; Applications
MAP ROOT L:=PICKLE/DATA1:APPLICATION
; Files and Data
Map Root M:=PICKLE/DATA1:MS-Files&Data
END

The original login script is from Nwtware 5.0 days, and runs from the 5.0 server, I believe. Another issue that I must address before I take the 5.0 server out back and pat it in the face with a shovel.

Paul Ray

Hi again,

Well, I let Netware fix it. Usually a good idea.

I deleted the old template for creating new users, and created a new one. I assigned a home directory, added the group everyone, and made the new Server the default server.

Left everything else as default.

The user created with this template has [Root] and [Public] as Trustees of This Object. Both have only Browse as effective rights. (Same as my legacy users that came up from NW 3.11) The Admin user is not a trustee, nor is my Admin Equivalent login.

The user gets all drive mappings on login.

Next experiment is to go to some of the users having problems, and make them a member of the New Template.

Thanks for all the help!

Paul Ray

Something that I ran into:
Which login script are those mapping declared? Every branch and node of the tree can have a login script. Higher order container login scripts don't flow down to lower order containers automatically like you'd think. I'll try to explain...

Say you've got UserA in your tree at
UserA.Dept.City.State
When UserA logs in they will automatically use any login script that is declared in UserA or in Dept but they will NOT use a script that is declared in City or in State.

In order for UserA to use a higher order script you must put an INCLUDE statement in their lower order script; i.e.:
Mapping is declared in City. You must either put INCLUDE .City.State in the Dept login script or put INCLUDE .Dept.City.State in the UserA login script.

Clear as mud? My explanations usually are...

I stated this wrong as well,
You must either put INCLUDE .City.State in the Dept login script or put INCLUDE .Dept.City.State in the UserA login script.
That should say:
You must either put INCLUDE .City.State in the Dept login script or put INCLUDE .City.State in the UserA login script.

Thelad had it right. The user home dir did not have rights to the directory. Corrected that and login successful. Thanks to all for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back