Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Script - Container Level - Win98 vs Win2K different paths 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripper

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
Please help me.

I can not figure this out.

I have a login script at my container level (nw6), it states:

IF MEMBER OF "SPORTS" THEN
MAP H:=FS1\VOL1:SPORTS\SALES\%LOGIN_NAME
MAP ROOT G:=FS1\VOL1:SPORTS\SALES\%LOGIN_NAME
MAP ROOT F:=FS1\VOL1:SPORTS\SALES

With the above login script activated, each of my Win98 users have the following mappings in "My Computer:"

VOL1 on 'FS1' (H:)
Smith on 'FS1\VOL1\SPORTS\SALES' (G:)
Sales on 'FS1\VOL1' (F:)

Now on my Win2K machine everything maps as:

Smith on 'FS1\VOL1\SPORTS\SALES' (H:)
Smith on 'FS1\VOL1\SPORTS\SALES' (G:)
Sales on 'FS1\VOL1\SPORTS (F:)

Looking at it closer, it appears as though everything is mapping (now on Win2K) as it was originally supposed to map. However, switching to Win2K, many images will not open because the orignal path has changed.

Any direction on how I may manually enter these login scripts to enter the pathes as Win98 seen them? I've tried to remove the user from the group, and reenter login script/drive mapping commands and it doesn't seem to work. Actually, it seems to mess up more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

The issue is in Win98, not Win2k (it just apears to be in Win2k). To understand this one you need to think about DOS and how drive mappings work in DOS.

When you would map a drive in DOS just by using the MAP comman (MAP H:=FS1\VOL1:SPORTS\SALES\%LOGIN_NAME) You would end up with a drive mapping such as H:\SPORTS\SALES\SMITH. The user could change directories, but they would ALWAYS start in the mapped directory. The MAP ROOT command would give you just that, the root of the directory you are mapping too (MAP F:=FS1\VOL1\SPORTS displays as just F:)

In windows 98, the mapping just never worked as you would expect it to work in DOS. You would get your drive mapping, but it would not start in the specified directory (hence the reason you map to MAP H:=FS1\VOL1:SPORTS\SALES\%LOGIN_NAME but only get VOL1 on 'FS1' (H:)) When you browse to the drive through My Computer you actualy get the root of VOL1, not the root of your User directory in the Sales subdirectory.

Win2k however is working as it should be.

To "workaround" your problem, just change the H drive mapping to the root of the VOL1 volume so the image or what ever program that is looking at the path with see the H:\SPORTS\SALES\SMITH directory structure. Your Win98 workstations still around will not notice a difference.

Bingo!

Makes sense (now). I changed it and works fine & as expected. Thanks again Provogeek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back