Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Problems to the DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

revururaj

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2005
US
Hello:

We just rolled out our new windows 2003 server, in our single location,and everything works good, logon scripts, and Group policies.

But when i carry the laptop home,and try to connect to server and hoping to get logon drives, doesnt work. even tried using net use: command,and still cannot connect. Also the sign in process takes anywhere between 20-25 minutes(iam serious).

Any thing i need to do.

My home connecion scenario, Cable-DSL Internet with Linksys wireless router.

Thanks,

There is no VPN. Iam just logging into the domain.

For example if we have only one DC in Newyork. and i have a user logging onto the domain from user's home in Boston. What are the steps do i need to take care so that user can succesfully logon to the domain?

Thanks,

That isn't going to work. When you are home, your laptop is probably using your ISP for DNS. Your ISP's DNS server has no knowledge of the DNS records for your Active Directory.

To log into the domain from home, you would need a VPN to access the office network. Even without a VPN though, you should be able to log on to the laptop with cached credentials. You won't be able to access network drives at the office, though.

mlichstein:

Thanks a lot, your explanantion made more sense. Thats what happened yesterday, i was able to login with cached credentials, but was not able so see the network drives.

I would appreciate if you could send me some pointers to setup the VPN to be able to join the domain and access the network drives as well.

Thanks,
R

Use the wizard on win 2003 server to setup the vpn it makes life so much easier.
There are a few things you need to do to make sure the vpn will work you need access to the router b/c you will need to foward some ports to the server. also a static external ip would be a good idea, and the internal ip address pool i would make sure the router doesn't use the generic 192.168.1.1 this could cause some conflict with users connecting in the future.
After establlishing the connection If the users connecting are not part of the domain then to resolve netowkr names accross you enterprise you will need to supply the FQDN after the name of the machine. i.e. dc-hq-01.mydomain.net to resolve the machine.

vpn ports
TCP/UDP 47 .. 50
TCP/UDP 1723 .. 1723

good luck

MARIO P ORLASSINO
ASSISTANT MANAGER IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back