Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Problems on an XP workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeejCyr

MIS
Aug 1, 2002
US
Finding new workstations with Win98 on them is getting too hard and we are, with much resistance, moving "up?" to XP workstations on our Netware 5 network. The primary problem we are encountering is that each workstation may have multiple users and we do not always know ahead of time who will be using the workstation.
We are looking for a "fix" to the login problem. We want the user to be prompted with a Novell login so they can authenticate to the server but we could care less who they login to the workstation as. In 98 if a new user sat down at a workstation, all windows would do is ask them for thier password twice. But now, if we have not defined the user first, they can't login to the workstation.
I have seen several articles on autologins. But when I enable the windows autologin it bypasses the Novell login as well. Is there a compromise here?

Best solution for this is Dynamic Local User (DLU which is supplied as part of ZENworks policies.

DLU automatically creates a local account on the workstation during authentication so there is no need for a second logon box to appear. You need Workstation Manager installed on the Novell Client side, and of course ZENworks. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Oh, didn't I mention? I wanted an answer that I liked. Hahahaha :)

To the best of my knowledge we don't own ZenWorks. Is there any other way? I thought about creating a server process that would look for logins and create accounts but I think that is going to be more work than its worth.
I admit the problem lays mainly with Windows. I am just searching for a way to make windows autologin but not Novell.

The only other way you could do it short term is to create a generic local user on all XP Workstations (call it XPLOGIN for example) with no password (maybe a member of Administrators or Power Users) and educate your users to type in this login name at the Windows client prompt (which comes up after the Novell Client) to log onto the local workstation.

This is only recommended as a short term measure until you find a more permenant solution though. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

You can use the Dynamic User via Zen. NetWare 5 & 6 come with a basic version of Zen that should be installed with the OS. Check your NWADMIN, select the context for the users, then goto "TOOLS", "ZenWorks Policy Wizard". Once the wizard starts, you'll have options for each of the platforms/OS that your using for workstations. Inside the policy's you'll find the Dynamic Local User option.
Make sure that you update your clients and select to install the workstation manager to install as well.

I use Dynamic Users for Win2000pro, Win98, and terminal servers. Works great, installs printers, and can manage users workstation desktops.

Bill Shaw, CNE
[bigglasses]

It doesn't look like Zenworks of any kind is installed. I didn't set this system up. I will see if I can find the discs and install it. Thank you both for the tips.

Hey there,

As for the multiple users login problem on WindowsXP workstation, i'm using GINA (see Novell TID). It permits you to log from any Novell user while using the same identity on WindowsXP.

NOVELL TECHNICAL INFORMATION DOCUMENT

TITLE: Tool to configure NWGINA on Terminal Server
TID #: 2957331
README FOR: GINACF.EXE

have fun !
- Steve

Best way to do this.......I hope.......is indicated by Novell TID 10052847. I've just tried it on a windows XP machine using the Auto login to NT and manual Login to NDS section. It worked a treat!!
Best of luck

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back