Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

uxadmin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
IN
Hi ,

I have 1 sparcstation 5 which I reinstalled. OS is 2.5.1. Everything is fine but normal users are not able to log on locally with CDE. It accepts username & passwd & just comes out to login screen without any error. Command login works for all users. Root is able to log on locally. Also telnet is working fine. Users are using CDE.
Can anyone tell me?

Uxadmin.

Dear
chk ur /etc/rc2.d directory - the last line must be S99login - if that is the case, kindly change it to S99dtlogin
Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

Hi,

It is already S99dtlogin. Any other clue?

uxadmin.

What shell are these users using? It might be that their
shell paths (e.g. /bin/ksh) are not in /etc/shells,
especially if you're not using the standard ones.
Worth having a look.

Good luck

John John Philcox
Mobile Ventures Limited UK

Is the user home directory on the local machine, or perchance is it NFS mounted?

If the latter, then make sure users' uids are identical on the local machine and the NFS server.

Larry

Dear
Can u detail the setup - the app. running and y the sun was upgraded - may b that gives some clue to the problem... Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back