Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-740 error on one system not on another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlke

Technical User
May 4, 2004
US
I'm new to Novell and have gotten nowhere with this issue after 5 hours and not sure where to look next.

The server is running Novell 3.12

Laptop A using Novell Client vs 4.83.0.0 SP1
Laptop B using Novell Client vs 4.90.0.0 SP1
Both are running XP Home
Both use the same PCMCIA ethernet card

Laptop A Logs in fine.
Laptop B Maps the right drives but won't allow access to them and gives the following message in the Results box:

(Excuse my spacing.. I hand wrote the notes quickly)
Drive F: = SMITH\SYS S1: = Z:. (SMITH\SYS:pUBLIC \]
S2: = Y:. (SMITH\SYS:MM \]
S3: = X:. (SMITH\SYS: \]
S4: = W:. (SMITH\SYS:WP51 \]
Drive I: = (SMITH\SYS:LETTERS \]
LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL -740: This utility could not execute external program mm.bat.

I believe that mm.bat is a file on the server that can't be called because Laptop B is not given access to the server.

I've checked the NetWare settings on each laptop when the network card is plugged into each and all match except Laptop B has a couple of extra options. I'm not sure if that may be causing the issue.

Laptop B also shows up as connected on the Novell server... it shows up in the list... but not sure why it won't allow access since both laptops are connecting with the the same login and that exact same network card.

Is there an issue with client vs 4.90.0.0 SP1?

I apreciate any help. I'm just guessing on what it is at this point since this is about as much as I know about Novell.

Sorry I can't give you an answer why but I had the same problem with the newer client. I reverted back to 4.83 SP2

Thanks Bluenose!
I'm going to see about trying an older client in the next couple of days. I knew it was a possiblity but wanted a little confermation before I gave it a try.

I'll let ya know

Hi,

I'm seeing this problem on two of about 30 PC's, running Novell 6.0. The only difference I can come up with between these two PC's and the rest of the LAN is that the two PC's both have Win XP SP 2 installed, so I attributed the problem to that.

Any thoughts?

-Patrick

Nine times out of ten, the simplest solution is the best one.

I believe this issue is on Novell's website. Client 4.9 will NOT support Netware 3.x at all, because Client 4.9 does not connect to the bindery, only to NDS. I'm using 4.83 with Netware 3.12, and it works great.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back