Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickoman

Technical User
Apr 10, 2006
CA
Hi All,

I have a strange issue that I just can't understand. I am the network administrator of a 60 PCs network. I have 2 windows 2003 server DC, both have DNS working. Here's my issue: One of my user is having problem loggin in with her laptop (running windows xp pro S2). When she boots her laptop, she's able to login to the domain, but her login script won't execute, and when she opens the my computer icon, it takes about 20-30 seconds before the flashlight disappear and she doesn't have any map drives connected. I cannot open a network share, and outlook won't connect to exchange server. The workaround I found is to logoff, and open her session again. After doing that everything works, the login script executes and the map drives are connected. It does not work if I shut down the computer and restart.
I tried to remove the computer from the domain and join it back. Still the same problem. The DNS resolution is working ok on the network and this is the only PC experiencing this behavior. When I log to another computer with her user account, everything is working, so it points me to the laptop. I have no related errors on the domain controllers event log, neither on the laptop.
Anybody has a clue ?

by the way, my login scripts are batch files in the netlogon folder. I know about the slow network link issue that may prevent the login script to execute, but does this applies if I don't use group policies to distribute my login scripts ?
thanks
Chris

Did you do the usual first steps. Any new software added, check for viruses using boot CD. Again check for spy ware Ad-aware is a good one. Use HiJackThis to fix startup errors.
Run MS updates Does the computer account exist.
Is it a network card issue did you check ipconfig /all as you could be logging in locally then the second time logging into the domain.

Hello GrimR,

Thanks for replying. Yes already checked virus/spyware issue, and the pc is up to date. I'll add a couple of details: Right after login a first time, i checked ipconfig /all everything is there, but I can't ping my DNS. I cannot browse the network through My network place neither. But if I wait a couple of minutes, ping is working and I can browse in My Network Place.
And yes the computer account is there...

Chris

On Dell laptops there is a program that disables the network card when not in use, do you have anything similar on that laptop?
When you say cant ping DNS is the the ip address or host name?
[But if I wait a couple of minutes, ping is working ] Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc view task manager for programs using CPU or memory. Delete any unwanted items in HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run and same for HKCU, can also be done using msconfig.
Is there a service thats starting up or taking long to start did you check the event log. Has things like DNS client DHCP, RPC and Computer Browser started.

It's a dell latitude D600, yes, and yesterday I verified the network card properties, but nothing seemed unusual to me. What is this program you are talking about ??

Also, a few minutes ago I used Autoruns to verify all startup entries. I had already disabled the sql2005 express database yesterday, but with Autoruns I unchecked a couple of entries that the files were missing. Since then, It had worked 2 times out of 4 try. Maybe I am on the right track now, there's something slowing the system at startup, but not at logon. I also forgot to mention that it happens no matter which user account I try...

In the Control Panel it's called Internal Nic Configuration black icon.
Looks like a program or service startup issue.
Theres also a freeware program called whats running which has a lot of detail.

Ok finally got it !

I uninstalled ACT! software and SQL 2005 xpress DB. I also did file system check (sfc /scannow). I think the SFC command did the job...I ran filemon (yeah i am a sysinternal fan ;-) ) and i noticed there were many entries NOT FOUND in the windows folder. Then I decided to do use the SFC command et voilà !!!

GrimR - I found the application you were refering to. On the laptop I have it's a utility called Broadcom control suite. I was able to do some testing with it.

Well, thanks anyway for taking the time to help me with this.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back