Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOGIN issue- oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

themoe

MIS
Jul 27, 2002
US
Ok here it is:

Out of the blue [isn't it always]

Users could no longer login to the machine via telnet. When I heard of the problem I could not log onto the machine via console.

We have 64 licenses and there are never more than 30 users on at a time. This time there were only 11 users. No one was root. No scripts were running at the time. The disks have plenty of space.

One user had 3 <defunct> processes and they were WordPerfect. I know cause I was dealing with her about 3 hours prior.

People who were already logged in could still work but could not log out once I told them to.

telnetd was running. Prior to my reboot which cleared the problem I shut down telnet but was still unable to log in.

The error logs don't really say much at all.

Soooo the only thing I can fathom right now is that telnet got crazy and spawned multiple sessions for one user. Hindsight I didn't really double check the telnet count via ps -ef.

How do you all have your syslog.conf setup? and do you like errpt ..I find it very distasteful.

Best thing to do would be to stop the telnet subsystem and then to start the telnet subsystem. This probably would have taken care of the problem.

Yes I did stop the subsystem but it didn't solve the problem of logging in. Since I stopped telent I took a risk that i could console log in.

I couldn't

Licensing shouldn't prevent root from logging in at the console.

Check your paging space utilization though. I've had instances in the past where paging utilization got extremely high, and one of the way AIX copes with that is to deny new processes, which can account for it refusing to let you login (inetd is blocked from creating a new telnetd process).

Got to agree with Chapter11, all similar experiences I had was paging space related.

Did you get any warnings on your console re PS? IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration

I agree, lack of virtual mem, but why could users not log out? Do you mean CTRL-D did not work? When you stop telnet you will not be able to get in through network but the serial port is unaffected, so, if you have a serial terminal (which I highly recommend) you can get in, unless you are out of memory.

Increase RAM or increase paging.

Also, errpt is not quite as good as diag but it does OK, and really you have no choice. =) IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back