Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login in locally, but not to the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

inodanet

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
US
I've recently started working on our companies servers and notice we have no local accounts created. How do i set up an account to login without signing on to the domain? I've just purchased a new Dell server running server 4.0, and want to logon, but don't want to be on the domain. Can this be done in User Manager?

Any help would be great

Thanks.

You set up the local access account when you are setting up the OS. I am sure even if it is new, you still would have to do some configuring of the OS. You DONT have to join any domain when you set it up, you can set it to a workgroup instead and when it is ready then join it to a domain. Hope this helps

You should check with the IS department. In general, Windows NT member servers have a local adminstrator account. This account should already exist on every member server (it may not be named ADMINISTRATOR..you can rename this account. If fact, it is recomended that you do so.). To logon locally, choose the server name from the logon drop down box (instead of selecting the domain.)

If the server is already a member of the domain and you have Domain Administrative rights, you can logon onto the server using the domain admin account, then open User Manager and create a new local account. (make sure you open User Manager and not User MAnager for Domains...or you will be creating an account on the domain..)

If this server is a domain controller, you can not logon locally. Why, because logging on locally is logging onto the domain. This is a domain controller so you won't see the SERVERNAME in the drop down list...like you normally see on a member server.

In general, when you buy a new server, the OS is not loaded. It is up to the customer to load the OS using your companies standards. When you build a member server, it will prompt you for the password to the local administrators account. After the OS is built, you will have to logon to the server using the username ADMINISTRATOR, and the password that you used when you set the OS up. Once you logon, you can set up more local accounts using User Manager.

It sound like you are very new to NT. I would make sure that you get guidance from your supervisors....or read up on NT. It can be confusing for a newer user...

good luck...take care. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

This is a odd question. Well, you could setup your clients to use a microsoft windows logon.
If the server is setup as a domain controller it's more safer to know who's loging on and loging off your server and what resources are being used. it's better to get your users logon on to a domain in the begining then later on trust me on this one.

This is it! Thanks....

If this server is a domain controller, you can not logon locally. Why, because logging on locally is logging onto the domain. This is a domain controller so you won't see the SERVERNAME in the drop down list...like you normally see on a member server.

No...problem...talk to you later. (by the way, this is a common misunderstanding...) Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back