Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login for GNOME/KDE doesn't appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3XuS

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
BE
Today I first wrecked my GNOME (eventually found something in error log about "relocation error: unidentified symbol: GNOME_NEW_ICON_THEME") then switched to working with KDE as failsafe and now after trying to reinstall a few Gnome packages I don't even get the GUI login screen anymore, it just keeps "working" with the time thingy :p I can however still login to command line using ctrl-alt-f2

Using RH 9.0 on athlon 1Ghz

Try booting up into RunLevel 3 and then start X manually(startx)

If that doesn't work try reinstalling Gnome or KDE from the command prompt

check your diskspace. If 100% full you can not load up X.

command to check "df -hl

Sounds to me like you updated some part of gnome and broke the other gnome-core packages, or maybe installed a new theme that isn't compatible with your current version of gnome. If the theme is the problem, then gnome could be crashing on startup. If you've installed a new theme recently, try removing it and see if gnome starts up.

----
JBR

I don't remember installing new themes. Plenty of diskspace as well. PC been down for almost a month now heh. Spent ages getting the system up I doubt I'll find the courage to start all over again :)
Thx and keep giving tips on how to fix this :p

You may have also ruined the packages that are need by KDM or GDM which are the GUI for the login. Try reloaded the packages for either of them. KDM for KDE, GDM for Gnome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back