Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Failed for user '(null)'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonsa

MIS
Apr 10, 2000
US
I have a server called CRM.

I have a windows user name and password to connect to this server. My username is CRM/Sam005

I have a SQL Server database on the CRM server.

I have a windows login set up in the database. My login is CRM/Sam005.

I have checked to make sure that the authentication mode to connect to the database is mixed (Sql Server and Windows).

PROBLEM: When I open Enterprise Manager and try to log in to the CRM server using Windows Authentication I get the following error message: "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection"

If I try to connect using a SQL Server login that I created I have no problems.

Can anybody please tell me what is happening here?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

what program are you developing the front end in? The appliation may not be capturing the username

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst
WITF

When u right click on the server your want to connect and select "Edit SQL Server Registration Properties" what kinda connection you chosed?Did you select "Use Windows Authentication"?

Jason and Claire HSU,

Thanks for responding. I do not have a front end application. I am just trying to connect to my database through enterprise manager using Windows Authentication.

When I right click on the server in enterprise manager my authentication is 'SQL Server and Windows'.

try this

1. log into sql server under the sql account.
2. go to Security->Logins
3. Make sure the username you are trying to log on with is in the list. If it is not, add the user to the list.
4. When you set up the user you must also denote which databases they have access to(or are restricted from). If you do not specify which database they can enter you will get an error when attempting to connect.

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst
WITF

Jason,

I did as you suggested and this is what I am seeing....

I have a windows login set up under Security/Logins. The login name as I see it in SQL Server is CRM/sam005. This user also has access to the databases that I need.

I can log onto the server using SQL Authentication. I can not log onto the server using Windows Authentication even though the login is there, the login has access, and the login also exists in Windows.

I am at a loss! :(

I think your problem is with Windows, not with SQL Server. You say the server name is CRM and yous loginid is CRM/Sam005. Is the windows CRM/Sam005 account defined as a local user on the server or is it a domain user defined on a domain controller?

If it is a local user, then you will not be able to use windows authentication with that logindid. You have to use the exact same windows account on the server as on the workstation that you are logged into.

If you are logged into your workstation with a domain user account from your windows network, then you need to add that account, from the domain, as a SQL Server login.

“I apologize for this long letter. I didn't have the time to make it any shorter” --Blaise Pascal

Did you check whether your username "CRM/Sam005" has been added in "logins" under Security in Enterprise Manager of the remote server.

The problem is fixed now. The solution was that the windows password must be the same on

1. My network login
2. The local login to my workstation
3. The remote server that the database is housed on

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back