Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login endless loop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2001
DE
Since I "ghost" my w2k partition, I got a problem!
There is an endless loop at the login window! username --> password ... pause ... changes would be saved ... username --> password
So I make a new install over the existing installation into winnt.new ! Now I can login and be able to edit the registry of the old system. There was also a message that I have to change the size of the pagefile.sys. I did it !
What can I do to get logged into the old system ???

I have the exact same problem. Have you found the fix for it?

Yes, I install W2K for the second time!
So, don't worry, it wouldn't be the last.

This problem will happen if the permissions of the profile directories have been changed. Check these to make sure the permissions are set for the user whoms profile it is.
This is same for NT4 as well.

Only do this is you are not using a dual boot sysem, and the disk ws fdisked and formatted with the microsoft software, n third party stuff.

Here is the probable fix for a standalone machine not connected to a network.
Insall the affective drive by itsef. Do not have ANY other fixed drives installed. USe a W98 or W95 boot disk to boot with.
Run fdisk /mbr. DO NOT enter fdisk and do anything else.

Remove the floppy, boot from the HD, it should work.

If this does not work, let me know.

do u all get the error saying paging virtual memory not enough or something like that?
if yes, pls boot ur com with a win98 star up disk, n type
fdisk /mbr the problem will be solve

its bcause u ghost the hd files n the master boot record has been changes

hope these helps........

I had a customer with a similar problem. The problem started after he put a second drive in to copy some data, then removed it. He was getting the login loop as well as the pagefile problem. I figured it might be looking for the pagefile on D, so we put a drive in to solve that, but we still had the login loop.

The fdisk /mbr suggestion worked, but only after I removed the second hard drive. Interesting how the second hard drive in there made it still not work. I'd love to know the technical details of why.

In any case, it works now, the customer will pay my bill, and I thank you all, especially jayhawk for your help.

One solution to this is DO NOT allow the machine to reboot with the second HD in place after a ghost. This happened a few times to me when setting up some drive images. The curious thing is if it does happen you can put the ghosted drive in as the boot and that one will be Ok. The problem seems to be related to having two swap files without setting them up from the OS.

Chris

Check out the following link:
I have had this problem also. For me, using 'fdisk /mbr' from a DOS disk worked. I thought I tried 'fixmbr' from the Recovery Console awhile ago which did not work, but I might be wrong. I don't know why one would work and the other not. The article describes other ways to possibly fix the problem as well.

It has to do with a drive letter change for W2K.

Good luck,

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back