Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Disclaimer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello

We've got a number of laptops that we use outside of the company, mainly for remote access. These laptops are NOT members of our Active Directory domain.

I'm looking to add a disclaimer to the startup/sign in so that the user has to hit OK or I Accept to continue to the desktop screen. I know how to do this via group policies, but how is it done when it's not a member of the domain? Does anyone have a script or something they use that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!
-snooter

I think you can do it with group policy on the local machine.

Go to Start, then Run and type in gpedit.msc, you can set a group policy on the local machine itself without it being in a domain.

Copy/paste the following into Notepad, amend it however you want then save it as something like 'legal-notice.vbs'. It doesn't matter what it's called as long as it ends in '.vbs'.

Code:
Dim WSH, strCaption, strText
Set WSH = CreateObject ("WSCript.shell")
strCaption = "Code of Conduct Legal Notice"
strText = "This computer has been provided for work-related activities only." & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
"Any use for non-work-related activities will result in disciplinary action." & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
"See the Employee Code of Conduct, particularly Sections 4.2.2 and 4.2.3."
WSH.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LegalNoticeCaption", strCaption
WSH.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LegalNoticeText", strText
WSH.Popup "Finished... reboot for the change to take effect.",3,"Legal notice"
Set WSH = Nothing
WScript.Quit

Double-click on the saved VBS file and import it into the registry.

When the PC/laptop is re-booted it will display the notice (with just an 'OK' button) before the user is able to login.

Hope this helps...

Exactly what I was looking for.. I'm just not a programmer by any means so you just saved me alot of googling!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back