Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

login backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
I am running a Novell 4.11 server.<br>
One Windows 95 work station insists on by-passing<br>
the Netware for Windows login on boot up.<br>
<br>
If, once on the desktop I click Start, Shut Down,<br>
Close All Programs and Login As Another User...however,<br>
I can log in fine.<br>
<br>
I cannot use Client32 on this station due to other types of DOS<br>
software issues.<br>
<br>
Has anyone got any thoughts?<br>
<br>
Glenn

Perhaps the (PC) has a script/batch that runs. If you haven't already, I'd check & see if the PC has a autoexec.bat or config.sys. If so, double check all the settings.<br>
<br>
You may want to uninstall your current client. Try the MS Client for Novell. Once the &quot;bounce-token&quot; has been received from your server, shut the PC down. On restart, try adding the Novell client once again. ((Just incase you don't know, be sure to use the Novell Uninstall - do not just remove the client from the Network Properties))<br>
<br>
Third thing - you may want to double check those older DOS based programs through your PIF editor, just to ensure each of the settings are identical to your other workstations.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps ~ Good Luck!

I had the same problem when running the MS Netware client. But if other workstations are using the NW32 client, you really should find a work around for getting this machine on NW32, as the MS Netware Client has an issue with locking files that may cause corruption if a workstation running the NW32 client attempts to access the same file.<br>
<br>
Anyways, try going into the Properties of IPX/SPX protocol and go to the Advanced tab. Change the Frame Type from auto-detect to whatever Frame you are running on the network.<br>
<br>
Also, there's a registry key to check - just can't remember where it is at the moment! If this doesn't work, I'll hunt it down for you.<br>
<br>

We have seen something similar which ended up that one particular machine by-passed the 10Meg hub that everything else was plugged into and went straight to a 10/100 switch. Supposedly it was something to do with the lightning fast response to an old nic in the PC. As soon as we moved the connection to the 10Meg hub, it ran perfectly.

We experienced the same thing. It was fixed in service pack 1 for NetWare Client for Windows V.3.10. It also occured with the Novell NetWare Client for NT V4.60 and was fixed in SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back