Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login as a different user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deruki

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
We are working with a system where a user goes to a machine that is automatically logged in as a behind-the-scenes "public" account when the PC boots (using AutoAdminLogon in the registry.) We are having issues when a new user runs our login method (icon on the desktop which runs a batch file that calls the Novell logout.exe command, followed by loginw32.) Multiple login boxes displaying the "XP username" in the Username field come up. Is there a way to forego the logout command and simply have users be able to login without being asked to confirm the "You are already logged in to the network as..." dialog box? Or is there a way to prevent those multiple login boxes from
coming up once the logout command is executed?

Thanks for the help,

Michael Rubinfeld

I would suggest that the Logout command is not having enough time to execute before the Login command executes. It may be worth trying to insert a delay command of 5 seconds or so between the two commands to allow Logout.exe to complete the logout process properly. The message you state would only appear if the previous NDS connection had not been logged out in time.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

The "You are already logged in to the network as..." dialog box only comes up when the logout command is not executed. My issue is to either avoid using the logout command and thus disable the "already logged in" message -or- to prevent those multiple login boxes from coming up while still using the logout command.

Michael Rubinfeld

You could always set the PC so it Auto logs into just the workstation rather than into NetWare as well?

"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks for the suggestion. All of this was being over-thought. I tried your suggestion and so far it appears to be working quite well.

I appreciate it.

Michael Rubinfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back