Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login-4.13 (960913) PTF-100: Access has been denied ?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbeach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2003
Hello everyone
When I try to login from dos I get this error message: "Login-4.13 (960913) PTF-100: Access has been denied"
But the thing is: It only happens when I do it from a bunch of new computer we have bought. If I try the same thing from some other computers we have it works fine.
I tried taking the NIC from a working computer (still same brand though, 3C905cx-tx-m) and put it in one of these new ones but I got the same result.

After I have gotten the error message I get the dos prompt like this:
F:_
Where F: is \sys\login on the server which I´m trying to login to, so I obviously get contact with the server.

I have tried clearing the login script, but no luck.

Does anyone know why this is happening ??

/Dan

But it works to login from several other computers, with the same type of login (from DOS), but not from these new computers...

Check your workstation's config.sys.
You may need to set up the files and buffers statement.

"PTF-100: Access has been denied" Where can I find the specs for this ?

Senior Pap ;)
Yes, I´m using a dos boot disk to be able to mount a novell server and then send an image of the computer to that server.
I already tried changing the password for the user but same result, and since it works if I try it from another computer it´s really strange..

/D

Are you using the same boot disks for all computers?

And are you putting the NICs in the computers after purchasing or are they built in to the Motherboard?

If they are embedded NICs you may want to verify the chipset for the NICs. Even though they are the same model the chipset could be different therefore requiring a slightly different DOS driver. Check 3-Com's website and see if they have updated DOS drivers for that NIC.

When you are using the boot disks in the other computers are you using the same network connection? Is there anything different other than the system itself between the one that works and the ones that do not?

Are you setting the network duplex with Auto in the Net.cfg or are you matching with the network (ie half or full duplex)?

If you are installing the NICs after purchase try one of the NICs that is not working properly in one of the machines that is.

Let me know, I will continue to brainstorm.

Pappy

I´m using different boot disks depending on the nic in the computer.

I am putting new nics in all new computers (3c905) to try to standardize the organization.

I have tried moving a nic from a computer which works fine to log in with but with the same result.

Duplex is auto negotiated and always sets to 100 half duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back