Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logical relationships between tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggp

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
US
Does anyone know if MS Project 2000 can support logical relationships between tasks?

For example, we have a project that involves 4 what-if tests. There are 4 possible ways to solve a problem. If anyone of these works, great. Then the other tests are un-necessary and we can continue on with the project. So not all tests start at the same time or have the same duration. So we have scheduled each test to begin as-soon-as-possible.

My schedule looks like this:

Preliminary work ->

AND

Test 1

OR

Test 2

OR

Test 3

OR

Test 4

AND

Final work ->

We won't know the results of test 1 until after tests 2 and 3 begin, but we can always cancel tests 2, 3, and 4 in mid-stream.

I don't think you can do what you want in Project 2000 using basic functionality.

However, I have been working with VBA under Project 2000. It can be done with VBA but it will tend to be involved. You can set up a VBA macro that runs every time the project calculates. When the macro sees one of the tasks reach 100% completion, it can mark the rest of them as 100% or delete the others that you no longer need.

Another alternative might be to have all the tasks organized under a summary task. That should make them easier to manage as a group. Link the follow on tasks that occur after the tests to the summary task. When one of the tests works out ok, delete the others. The summary task should assume a completion of 100% and the follow on tasks should be affected accordingly.

Thanks for the advice.

I found that by organizing the different options under a summary tasks, it was easier to manage. Since there were 4 different tests, I simply linked only one test to the follow on tasks. Then I would print out my Gantt chart. Then I would unlink that test and link the next test. Then print the next option Gantt chart. I did this for all 4 tests. Like I said, this worked pretty well. Once the tests were completed, the unsuccessful tests (tasks) were deleted from the project.

I know this an older post but incase someone else runs into the problem. I use the Finish-Finish relation ship for this. I will mark the bar chart correctly, but does not fill in the dates on the task listing. I would right the project like this.
Predicessors
1 - work
2 - test one 1
3 - pass test one 2,6FF,9FF
4 - fail test one 2
5 - test two 1
6 - pass test two 5,3FF,9FF
7 - fail test two 5
8 - test three 1
9 - pass test three 8,3FF,6FF
10 - fail test three 8
11 - more work 2,5,9

But for every project manager there is a different way to do the same task. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back