Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logical drives on Serveraid 6i 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerScotland

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
GB
I am setting up an x235 series server which is to be used as a Domino (Lotus Notes) email server. I have 3 disks which I intend to configure using RAID-5. I would like to have 3 seperate partitions for Windows (2000 server), the Domino server program and the data files respectively.
My question is as follows:
Should I create 1 large logical drive in the Serveraid configuration and then use Windows (2000) disk management to create seperate partitions in the normal way, or should I be creating seperate logical drives in the RAID controller for each destination partition (windows to then see 3 drives with one partition in each)?
Do it make much difference which way I do it?
Any help would be appreciated -thanks.

It is not going to make a difference either way. However having said that if you ever plan to increase your drive capacity by adding additional hard drives your best bet is to create your logical drives in raidmanager and setup the first one as Dynamic that way you could do a logical drive migration later without having to reload your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back