Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logic of database and data model

Status
Not open for further replies.

train2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB
I'm a little lost regarding the data definition of my database. I've started looking into ways of creating dynamic reports, so that they are flexible for users, and find that I can't figure it out.

Story so far:
I have pupils that belong to classes (so a pupil table, and class table, and a classpupil table). Each pupil gets a target grade for each class, plus a series of review grades (1-5 etc.). So I created a progress table made up of Class, Pupil, ReviewNo, Grade.

When I want to compare a pupils target with a review grade I set up 2 queries - 1 to query their target, (ie. where reviewno = 0) and a second which uses the results of the first to bring in the review grade where reviewno=1).

So I get what i'm looking for:
Pupil ID, PupilName, Class, Target Grade, Review1

But of course, that costs me 1 query per review grade - which seems silly. Is there a way of combining these 2 queries into 1? I'm not so hot on SQL.

What I really want is to allow users to automatically select which review grades they see in a report, eg.

Pupil ID, PupilName, Class, Target Grade, Review1, Review2 etc.

The only way I can see doing this, is setting up a series of queries for each review, but that seems a very poor solution. I'm thinking I've missed something basic.
Can anyone help? Even a quick pointer in the right direction would be welcome.
cheers,
train2

I'm embarrassed at my stupidity - i just remembered i can add the same table twice in one query - and if I've got the fields in a query, I can figure out how to allow the user to select from combo boxes on a form.

i'm still learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back