Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging with ACL's a12500

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandosimon

Technical User
Jan 19, 2012
US
What is the expected behavior when appending "logging" to the end of an ACL entry? For example:

rule 10 permit udp source-port eq bootps logging

I expected to see a log for every match that contains the source IP, destination IP and port but I'm not currently seeing that. What I am seeing in the log is that this entry was matched "X" amount of times(see below), but no details as to source/destination/port. Is that possible with the A-Series? Am I missing some additional configuration to accomplish this? Thanks for your time.

%Jan 19 10:12:21:493 2012 <name_of_switch> ACL/6/log: Number 3147
rule 10 permit udp source-port eq bootps logging 12 packet(s)

Leonardo

This is expected behavior. The device is a fully distributed forwarding platform, so it will not log these types of messages. It will only give you a hit count.

All high performance devices have this behavior. The Cat6500's will do what you're asking, but when that feature is used all traffic is punted to the supervisor to be software switched. The new Nexus platforms behave just like the 12500's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back