Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging the frequency of PC's going off the network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanwho

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
GB
Hi,
we are looking for a simple mechanism for logging the frequency of PC's going off the network which could use the net send command to notify a specific user or just creating a log which can be accessed remotely any ideas....all the network monitoring software seems to be overkill.

There are approx 30 PC's on the domain all running win 2k Pro Server win2k

many thanks for any help

Sean

Sean,

Please explain a little more about "PC's going off the network." Do you mean they lose their ethernet link to their hub/switch (like when they are turned off)? Do you mean that they lose a directory share?

What are the error messages you are getting? What are you trying to accomplish?

Patrick

Patrick apologies for the vagueness. We have some pc's on the domain which ocassionally drop their ethernet connection, this is partly due to the nature of the work they are doing and the software that is being used(this is being looked into separately) what we need to know is when the connection is dropped by which machine and ideally the option of using 'net send' to notify another user of the occurence as well as writing to a log when the machine dropped the connection so we can cross check with event viewer. I have been looking for a server tool which could monitor the domain without success unless i want to look at an expensive package.

times like these I wish I were a programmer! and could write a script.

Sean,

Are the hubs/switches you are using manageable? Who makes them?

Do they speak SNMP? A lot of times you can configure them to send a trap when an interface goes down. All you need then is a trap monitor.

Another option is that sometimes you can configure the switch to send logging information to a syslog server (built into Linux). You could then monitor the syslog entries.

Otherwise, if they are manageable you can use WhatsUp Gold ( relatively inexpensive) and configure it to monitor the individual interfaces.

Otherwise, you are either going to have to spend money or learn how to write a script.

Good luck!
Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM, RHCT Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

Patrick,

The switches are cisco and to the best of my knowledge are manageable will check.

Will look into the trap monitor and whatsup gold. many thanks for your help.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back