Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOGGING Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark94411

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hi all,
I log into sqlplus by putting all of the logging info on 1 line. ex. sys/password as sysdba, this works fine. My question is Why when i try to login using the specified fields in sql plus it tells me tns ora could not be resolve
Iam using wink2 and oracle 8i.

Are you connecting to the database located at the same box? What do you mean by "using the specified fields"? The third field in sql*plus is for TNS alias, so it is treated in this way. Regards, Dima

correct sem, the database is located on the same box that I am loggin into. specified field i mean that in the log on box that appears when you click on sqlplus icon.
username .....sys
password.......*****
hoststring.......Novastar
logging in this way gives me TNS could not be resolve

username....... sys/password as sysdba
password........blank
hoststring.........blank this way it works fine.

can this be because i have 2 database on the same box ?
1 is novastar and the other is orcl

The first method (specifying a hoststring) is using Net8 to connect, which requires a valid &quot;tnsnames.ora&quot; file (in <ORACLE_HOME>/network/admin). The second method (no hoststring) is connecting directly (using ORACLE_SID) and doesn't require tnsnames.ora. At least that's what happens on Unix. Winblows is probably similar. Your problem is your tnsnames.ora file has no &quot;Novastar&quot; entry.

wonboodoo you are correct thanks many for the info. i added an entry in the tsnnames for this database and is working great. also thanks dima for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back