Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging OUT specific user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2003
US
Is there a way for me to log out specific users. I have most administrative priviledges in netware except remote console, etc. I have users who can make crazy moves and cause our server to need dumping. As a result, I have to tell all users to log out and then down the server and restart it. Is there a better solution for this? Thanks for your help.

What do you mean "make crazy moves " ? If it about disk space - think about "disk space restriction".

There's a utility Novell put out several years ago called "ONSITE ADMIN PRO". it is awesome for seeing what files are open on the server and who has them open.

Good luck finding it though, I'm not sure if Novell has it on their site anymore.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

If you have specific users that you need to quickly "KILL" then you could either sit at teh server oruse RConsole and the "Netware Console Monitor" Hope this helps.

gjbruce78@hotmail.com

Sometimes, using the Console Monitor does not kill the users connection as the PC will attempt a reconnect and will usually succeed.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

good point "The Lad" I tried testing Console Monitor and for me it always kills the connection but its maybe going to be under different circumstance for each network? Im fortunate as I work for a small company and only have an IT staff of 2 so Im responsible for a lot and could always pull the relevant patch cable from the Network Hub as a last measure but this may not be practical for shelton1979?

it seems that sometimes when users try to access certain files, it locks the whole network up and i'm wondering if i can just log the user out and to keep from downing the server. that's why i wanted to know how to log out a user.thanks for all the responses...i'm trying them as you give them ...;-)

Again its not very practicle but,,,, if you have nwadmin or consoleone you could disable the users account. I dont think this is instant but takes 2 or 3 mins to taje effect. The time out settings must be able to be configured somehow,,, ill try & find out how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back