Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging off Users when no activity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasithg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
LK
Hi,
I was wondering whether there was a method to log off the current logged user in Win2K if they log on and leave the machine without logging off(say after 5 mins of no activity. I know that locking the Workstation is one option, but I dont think thats what I am looking for since that requires the Admininstrator or logged on user to unlock the workstation.

Thanks in advance
LasithG

Lasith G.
B.Sc (Hons), MIEEE
Coordinator - ITRC,USJP

From [URL unfurl="true"]http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#autologoff [/url]:

4.49) How can I auto logoff or automatically log a user out of Windows after a period of inactivity?

A: This can be done in Windows 2000 / XP / .NET using Group Policy. Control Panel, Administrative Tools > local security policy > local policies \ security options \ "Automatically log off users" and/or "Amount of idle time required before disconnecting session"

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Carrr, Thanks for the site and info.
I tried the option on Win2KPro. The setting I set were

1. "Automatically log off users when logon time expires(local) " which I enabled
2. Amount of idle time required before disconnecting session" which I set for 10 Mins

But it didnt seem to work. i.e. the system didnt log me off after such a time.

Did you try this and did it work ?

LasithG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back