Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging into wrong DC (even though on other side of WAN!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markpower

MIS
Jun 4, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am a networks chap mainly so am asking you guys here for some help. I have been asked to look into why some machines in my business authenticate to a DC (W2K) that is on the other side of a WAN, intead of using their local LAN based DC. I have looked in the AD Sites and Services part of our AD and all the subnets have been configured correctly and all seems to look OK. Any ideas before I go and put a sniffer on my PC and see where I'm going to get authenticated! Many thanks in adavance all.

'Never play leapfrog with a unicorn'

Ideally PC login will only cross WAN when local DC is malfunctioning or down. I suppose you have some sort of network connectivity problem (hardware/software) for these involved PC's to your local base DC. You can start troubleshooting by pinging the local server but I think you already done that.. hmm. Check the policies.

Definitely pinged things! And no network connectivity issues anywhere. That's what I am good at. This W2K stuff seems more devious. Tell me more about policies please. BTW I was pretty good with NT and domain stuff, but W2K is a new beast to me so any help is good. Thanks.

'Never play leapfrog with a unicorn'

Mark did you ever get this resolved. We are currently having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is under DNS -forward lookups-_sites. In there I have 2 domain controllers from different sites. Do you know if we can delete the files without causing any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back