Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

logging into domain rather than locally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
GB
Hi, I posted this on the samba forum, but it is probably more a windows issue than a samba issue. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly apreciated:

we have installed Suse Linux 9 Server running Samba v3. Now, using domain accounts connecting to the network works fine with profiles. i can log onto any PC and all my documents and settings are pulled down locally.

My problem is that when I unplug my PC from the network, I can no longer access this account and have to log on to a local account set up on the machine - which has its own set of documents and settings.

How do I syncronise the two accounts? I need the same account on my PC as the domain so I can access the files from anywhere - whether or not I am logged into the network.

This must be a standard feature of windows domain accounts, but I have little (no) experience of windows domains until now.

Thanks for you help

Tony

the easiest method is to just use the domain logon.

there are a couple of domain security settings that can inhibit you from doing this when not connected to the domain.

First guess would be to check the 'cache domain logon' - this way it will cache your logon so you can logon w/o domain

thanks for the reply. Yes, everything I've read indicates it should just work. I've checked all the security settings in group policy editer that i can find but all seems to be correct. Always get the message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain DOMAIN is not available"

Looking in the user profiles stored on this computer, they are listed DOMAIN\username - have tried forcing local accounts and using roaming accounts.

The PC just does not seem to check these when trying to log in.

I'm really confused with this now.

Tony

if anyone experiences this, it is due to the samba configuration:

This issue is with the tdb database for login authentication - changing thiss to smbpassword file works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back