Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging in to a win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppope

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
US
I have a new win2k server. How can I get my workstations to login into this server, other than mapping the drive? It will act as a file server.

Well, since it's going to be the file server, mapping drives makes the most sense. What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

What do you mean login?

If you are using a workgroup & want to enable users to connect to the server without re-entering their login credentials, you will need to create user accounts on both the server, & the workstation. Otherwise they will be asked to supply a login & pw when they try to connect.

James Goodman MCP

You could use it as an FTP server and log into it through Internet Explorer. If you have IIS installed, then you're 80% of the way there.

I have a user acct. for the workstation on the server, now what do I do to get the workstation to login? I want the workstation to come to a login screen when stating up, requiring the user to login. I know there's a way to configure this other than mapping the drive...

I still dont follow.

If you are using a workgroup, then the user is required to first login locally to the workstation. If they then attempt to connect to a remote computer, there login credentials are attempted first. If this fails, the user is requested to login.

If you are trying to authenticate user logins at the server, then you will need to setup a domain, & everything that entails.

James Goodman MCP

jgoodman00,

I think we maybe on the same track. Can you tell me how, or where to go to find out how to do that?

You mean you are trying to authenticate user logins at the server?

If so, you will need to run DCPROMO.

However, I would not recommend you do this without backing up your data, & being fully aware of the changes you are going to make to the network. If you are getting users to authenticate at the server, they will no longer have accounts on the workstations (i.e. local user accounts), & unless you use roaming profiles they will not be able to login unless the DC (Server at the moment) is available to authenticate them.

James Goodman MCP

jgoodman00

What I'm wanting to do is, set the workstation to login to the server. I know that (on the workstation) in the network settings you have to have Client for Microsoft Networks installed. I have in the past (long time) setup a win95/98 workstation to do this, and I remember having to put in a domain server name, but I can't remember anymore than that. Also I'm now running winxp pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back