Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging Dial-In 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

netwalker1

Programmer
Feb 5, 2000
EG
Dear All :
How can I enable logging for Dial-In Interface ?
I have router 1751 , and It is used to recieve dial cals on its ashyncrounus interfaces ,, I want to enable logging on these inetrafecs , to see when and who did the connection ..

Any advices ?

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

You can do this with a TACACS+ server (AAA). With this, you can authenticate users, authorize them to do certain things on the network, and use accounting to see what they've done.

I am asking if I can login the ashyncrounous interfaces status !
so that I can know when they were up and when they were down ?

Mohamed Farid

If you use "logging event link-status" under your async interface config you should see the events in your log. You can then dump the messages to a logging server to make life easier.

Router Boy!

How , I am using a Syslog Server , but there is no logging events are sent from the Router !!!
How can I enable this !?

Mohamed Farid

You need to enable logging on the router with the address pointing at the syslog server:

logging trap <a bunch of options>
logging source-interface Loopback0
logging host x.x.x.x

Router Boy!

Shall I enable loopback logging ?
or logging source-interface ethernet0/0 will be enough.

As ethernet0/0 is the interface which can talk to the syslog server ?!

Mohamed Farid

Enable whichever interface you need to in order to talk to your syslog server but remember if you set the source interface to a particular interface and that interface goes away you will lose logging. That is why I always set it to the Loopback. If your 1751 has only one way off the router (IE: e0/0) then you don't need to set it to Loopback.

Let me know if it works.

Router Boy!

&quot;logging event link-status&quot; is turned on by default. If you issue this command, you will notice that it doesn't show up in a &quot;show runn&quot; under the interface. To send these logs to a syslog server, do this:

logging <ip add of syslog server>
logging source-interface loop0

This is all you need.

Also make sure you have a route to the syslog server.

HTH,
robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back