Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logging access on shared folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmanyoung

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all,

I need to log user access (read, write, modify, etc) on a shared folder on my network. I assume it would be an auditing events on the folder properties. Not sure what I need to add. Can it pipe it to a .txt file? Is there any policy to would also do the same task? TIA

Newman

I've already did that part of auditing setup. But I still only get basic logon/logoff in security events. I have also enable the audit object access setting in the Audit policy. Thanks for the help

Newman

Good, you've enabled the audit policy for object access (preferably the local computer policy holding the share).

Now, goto the folder that is being shared, right click, properties, security tab, advanced button, auditing tab.

add a group/user to the list and define what actions you wish audited for the group/user.

The audit entries can be seen by the event viewer, security log.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Looks like the log file is going to be pretty big since I am trying to log all file activities on the domain. Is there any 3rd party software that will log the same info? TIA

Looks like the security log is only logging items my ID is accessing, but I include all domain users to audit in the folder properties? Any idea why? I am remoting into my server and using my user account with domain admin rights to configure auditing. Will this need to be initiated with an administrator account? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back