Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logfile: Database starting up lots of times in a row. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kempis555

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
Hi all,

I got curious and started looking at log files on a couple of my servers.

I notice that when a server is started, the databases are also logged as starting too, one after another. That makes sense.

But then sometimes a particular database will be logged as starting lots of times, all within a short amount of time.
For instance:

2005-06-08 12:45:41.32 spid51 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:45:42.56 spid51 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:45:44.31 spid52 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:45:51.31 spid52 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:45:51.66 spid52 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:45:61.09 spid52 Starting up database 'db1'
2005-06-08 12:46:41.44 spid52 Starting up database 'db1'

What's causing that? I read that FAQ which said that a database can be set to "Autoclose" when the last user exits, but would the above be caused by such a thing?

-k

Yeah, but so often in such a short time?

Maybe it's the Internet User badgering the SQL server when it's trying to sleep, but that seems like an odd thing for it to do.

-k

Yes auto-close could be causing it to happen is such a short period of time.

If you have a single user using the system and that person connects, then disconnects, then repears the database will continue to auto-start.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

I'll turn off the auto-close and see what happens.

Either way it seems inefficient to leave it on... the only situation auto-close seems worth it would be on a desktop development environment where the computer is used for other things than SQL servin'.

-k

AutoClose can also cause problems with certain third party applications, closing the db when a connection terminates despite the fact that the app is about to open another connection to accomplish another task.

I've also heard of it causing issues with Crystal Reports being slow and unwieldy (especially if they have subreports).

AutoClose is great, however, when you have a large number of users who, at the end of the day, all log off, but leaving connections to SQL hanging in some sense (think Citrix). So I guess having this on or off depends on your situation.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

I turned off the autoclose on the database, and the log files look normal now. Thanks all, I think that fixed it.

If it were a problem, that is. :) It doesn't seem healthy to have so many starts in a row.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back