Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

log who is accessing a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

guins6866

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2002
US
Is there any way to log/monitor who is creating folders or files in a "public" folder on our school network? A
person(s)keeps taunting that he/she the network sucks and wants to take over the network. They also delete teacher/student files in the folder. Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Permissions? Group policies? Obviously, I doubt that everyone needs Full Control... I had the same problem with teachers deleting student files not realizing what they were doing, or moving them to their computer.

The previous admin here had it pretty much wide open, and I quickly locked that down. Saved me mucho hassle and several hours since I didn't have to restore from backup all of the time.

i would set the users, and the teachers personal drives where they can save stuff... and make them aware of files can be lost on public... and that it is a dumping ground.. yes you can see who is creating the file...

if you do properties on the file... somewhere down there.,., should say who has created the file..

and you want to go a step further.. audit the drive..

keeping in mind that does take up server utilization

hope that helps..

Nutta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back