Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log when users open emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porress

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
GB
My boss want to know when a user open a specific email?, is it possible to do it in Exchange2k3?

That is what a read receipt is for.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

What if the sender did not send a read receipt? is it possible to know when it was read?

no.
It's like, you don't ask a queston, you do not get an answer.
But, even when asked, the rceiver can refuse the sending of receipts, like I do.
Why is this a good idea (IMHO):

1: spam etc. Read receipts confirm the existance of your address
2: no-one has any businness with WHEN I read my mail

To me, people using read receipts are just too curious. It's a waste of time and bandwith, how little it may be.
If you send an postal letter, no-one sends it with a receipt request everytime either, and you still would NOT know when or if the letter was read, just when it was received.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

After your advice, i have noticed that users can'T use that options buttons to send a read receipt. Only users that are power users i suspect are able to use it. Why is that?

Probably because you restricted that on the server's connector

Marc
[/sub]

FYI, you can use read receipt and force-lock the option using the GPO ADM template for Outlook. This will force return receitps for all messages. But as Marc said, read receipts are a waste of bandwidth and will annoy your users.

Bottom line porres, you best tell your boss you cannot garantee these read receipts even if you wanted to. It is the destination that will determine sending one or not, and most will not!

Marc
[/sub]

OK, i will tell my boss the bad news...hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back