Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

log onto domain for 1st time via wireless client

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
OK, just come across this issue and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

We've just set up a smal training LAN at work, I've set up a domain controller (W2k3) and configured each client (WXP) correctly. Each client is connection to the LAN via a wireless connection. Now when a new user tries to log into the Domain for the first time they can't they get an error saying the domain cannot be found. I know the domain is there and working because I could log in as the administrator, and I guess now I've logged in once those credentials are cached locally on the client for a while anyway, so in theory could still log in for some time as that account even if the DC wasn't on. The problem seems to come from seeing that when a user logs into a device, say a laptop with a wireless connection it takes some time before the wireless connection kicks in (after loggging in). I therefore think I cannot log in because the wireless connection isn't up to allow access to the DC to authenticate the login against.

Does any of this make sense? Does anyone have any ideas, I really wan't to stay away from cabling if possible.

Thanks.

name resolution, the XP ws is pointing DC for DNS?
can u test ping FQDN of the DC? if u can't, definately name resloution.

name resolution seems spot on, problem seems to lie with the wireless connection not being up whilst a user is not logged in ?

jatkinson,

I seem to be having similar issues, though our environments are a bit different. We are using XP Tablets with SP2 loaded. I am also using a Windows Server 2003 Radius server using IAS. If you already have an account that has logged in once, everything is fine. If your password changes OR you have never logged into that particular machine, you are up a creek. I have also noticed that if you login via wireless with an account that is cached locally, then log off, you can then, AND ONLY THEN, login with an unlocally cached account.

Anyone have any ideas, as this is driving me nuts.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back