Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log On

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
How can I stop users from logging onto my machine?

Locally and on the Network?

I dont want to do it in the Group Policy as that will affect all machines.

Thanks

You need to use the local security policy on your machine. Open up local security policy and go to local policies, user rights assignments. There is a setting for logon locally and another for access this computer from the network. Change those as needed. Also, when your computer is joined to the domain the domain users group what added to your machine's local users group giving them the right to logon. Make sure your account is in the local admininstrators group, then remove the domain users group from the local users group.

Give those a try.

I found that Mr. Money Matters' solution worked to a certain degree. Both settings under Local Policies>>User Rights Assignment>>"Log on Locally" and "Access this computer from the network" need to have "Everyone" and "Users" removed. This stopped people from being to logon. But for users you want to logon, they need be in a local group before they can logon.

In my case I did what I said above and even though I had a user in "Access this computer from the network" they were still not able to logon until I added them to the local "Power Users" group as well. Then and only then were they able to logon.

This is just based on my own testing so if I am making a mistake here let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back