Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log on to NT, keep D:\, but hide c:\......

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelj

MIS
Jun 11, 1999
GB
I had 4 Win95 PCs that were standalone with CD drives. Another 35 networked Win95 PCs log into NT4 Server and they have restricted access for pupils through Profile Editor and different groups. <br>
<br>
I have installed network cards into the first 4 so that they can log into the server too,but I would like to restrict access to the C: drive but leave access to D: (CD ROM)so that when I install a program (as Admin)such as Encarta, the pupils can still access the d: drive and their own home directories on the network but not the C: drive. Something like, restrictions apply like on other machines, but with the CDROM access.<br>
<br>
I have tried setting up another for computers in Profile Editor next to the

Theres a few way around this one.<br>
<br>
First up autoplay will prompt 95 to launch a cd with or without your *.pol files in effect.<br>
<br>
If cd roms are only for admin use share the cdrom of your station and use it remotely (&quot;connect as&quot; etc).<br>
<br>
Teach 'em to use DOS <br>
<br>
I'll post again when I think of more

If you want to hide drives, you can do it via the registry.<br>
You can hide the drive from Explorer and My Computer, BUT be aware that hidden drives can still be accessed from the START¦RUN menu. There is another simpler way to hide drives, just use TweakUI, but if you want to do it via the registry, this is how you go about it:<br>
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Right-click in the right pane and choose New¦DWORD value. Name the new key NoDrives and hit ENTER twice. This will open the Edit DWORD value dialog box. Select the decimal radio button. You'll want to enter a number for the drive you want to hide. Drive A:=1 B:=2 C:=4 D:=8 E:=16 and so on up the list. So you enter 4 to hide drive C:. If you want to hide drives A: and C: you would enter the number 5.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back