Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log on prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondreckoned

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
CA
I am installing Windows 2000 professional on a personal pc and don't want the user id / password / domain prompt to appear on log on. What steps can I take to have the pc log directly onto the desktop and by pass this prompt. Thanks for any help.

During installation of Win2k Pro, there is a point where it'll ask you,

---
Users of This Computer
Who can log on to this computer?

You can require all users to enter a user name and password to log on, or you can have Windows assume the same user will always log on to this computer.

Which Option do you perfer?

Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Windows always assumes the following user has logged on to this computer.

---

You will of course choose the 2nd option and it'll require you to enter a user name and password and to confirm the password.

For a graphical view of the screen I'm talking about, go here...

HKinNYC,

That is true in stand-alone and Workgroup settings, but for Domain settings it requires a registry edit.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName" = "Put username here"
"DefaultDomainName" = "Put Domain here"
"DefaultPassword" = "Put user password here"
"AutoAdminLogon" = "1"

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

Take the above, modify it, and put into a .reg file. Then import it into the registry. Then reboot.

You can get around the registry mod w/ autolog.exe out of the NT4 Support Pack.

If you have already installed Windows and need to change the setting - head to Users and Passwords in Control Panel. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back