Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

log-in page not sending a variable to next page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samalia

Technical User
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I need to have a log-in function that can also send the user name to the next page and then filter the data based upon that user name. When I create a log-in server behavior, it will log the user in correctly but the user name will not get passed as a variable. If I use the logged-in page as the form action on the log-in page then the user name gets passed but the user authentication no longer matters. Is there anyway that I can pass the variable without ruining the log-in authentication system?

Samalia

You could try to use a Session variable to store the login and then retrieve it in your other page. . Depending on what server side language you are using it may be a little different. Also don't think DW's behaviors would include that. You'll have to hand code it yourself but it should not be more than 1 or 2 lines of code at most.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I'm trying to get a variable to get the value from a textbox that has already been defined and called username.

<% session("varuser") = Request.Form("username") %>

This is what I'm using to get the value from the textbox. I'm using vbscript. It doesn't seem to be getting the value from the texbox and then sending it to the next page because on the next page when I try to call up the variable nothing appears on the page.
<%= request("vauser") %>

This is what I'm using to display the variable's value.

Not very familiar with VBscript or ASP, but I'm sure the guys over at the
forum329 or
forum333
or forum855 may be of help.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back