Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

remsauk

MIS
Sep 26, 2002
US
Hi...

Is there an AIX command or something in smit that will tell me when a user last logged on? I come from an AS/400 background and there's a command wrkusrprf (work user profile)that I can use...ie wrkusrprf js* <Enter> would give me all users w/js...like John Smith. I can take option 5 to display the user's profile and one of the values is Last Log in....I know there are history logs in AIX but I'd rather have to search thru that.

Thanks

If you look in the /etc/security directory you will see a few files related to logins. lastlog is the one you want for users' last log in times.

lsuser -a time_last_login <user>

You can convert it from seconds since epoch (00:00:00 January 1, 1970 UTC) to a date in perl with:

Code:
perl -e 'print scalar localtime(TIME), "\n"'

where you substitute the seconds since epoch for TIME.

Here's a C program to do the same, accepting the time in seconds as its only argument:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/time.h>

main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    long seconds;
    ++argv;
    seconds = atol(*argv);
    printf("%s", ctime(&seconds));
    }

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Hi...

Thanks to both of you...I'll out your suggestions to use...

And what about "last" command?

[tt]
n65:/# last | grep trifo | head
trifo pts/1 171.19.9.162 Jul 08 11:38 still logged in.
trifo pts/1 171.19.9.162 Jun 30 15:43 - 17:52 (02:09)
trifo pts/1 171.19.9.162 Jun 30 09:09 - 09:37 (00:28)
trifo pts/1 171.19.9.162 Jun 24 16:40 - 16:59 (00:19)
[/tt]

It is a standard Unix tool to log user login/logout activity.

--Trifo

trifo,

Thanks for bringing that up. I've been working with time_last_login for my own purposes lately, so it's what first came to mind.

remsauk,

"last" will work in many situations, but some admins like to keep their wtmp at a reasonable size and trim it regularly.

If wtmp is never trimmed, or you're sure the user has had activity more recently than the earliest date kept in wtmp ("last | tail" will tell you that date), then use "last <user> | head". For older inactive users, or if you need the date in a more script friendly form, use the method I described earlier.

Rod Knowlton

Thanks to all of you...this has proved very helpful...I'm rather new to aix...I'm also one of those who doesn't trim wtmp.

Thanks again

remsauk: be careful when trimming wtmp. Well, the simple method is to truncate it to zero

cat /dev/null > /var/adm/wtmp

Maybe it is a good idea to archive the contents of the file. gzip can effectively shrink it.

Also there is a tool for truncate the wtmp to keep a specific amount of entries. I have found the solution in this forum.

--Trifo

If you want to automatically trim to a certain number of days, as opposed to entries, you'll need a program (perl can do it), and the record format is the same as "struct utmp" in /usr/include/utmp.h.

If you do this, be sure to always check the OS version before doing anything. The format can and does change from version to version, which is why I won't be posting my script. :)

Rod Knowlton

Hey, we escalated the topic rather deeply...

There is a script to trim the wtmp file keeping a specific number of entries:

#############################################
[tt]

# keep this many entries of wtmp
TRIMLINES=200

WTMPFILE=/var/adm/wtmp
TMPFILE=/tmp/tempwtmp

# create temporary text based database
cat $WTMPFILE | /usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp | head -$TRIMLINES > $TMPFILE

# reload entries from tmp text to wtmp
cat $TMPFILE | /usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp -ic > $WTMPFILE

# discard obsolete temporary data