Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Log Files In Exchsrvr\Mdbdata Directory 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2006
GB
Hi,

We seem to have quite a few log files in the MDBDATA directory (over 20gig) we are running exchange 2000 on a windows 2000 server. The log files are named E000XXXX.LOG can i just delete them or is there a way i can say keep a rolling month cos the way we are going we are going to fill the drive up very soon...

You should be doing a backup using software that is "exchange aware". NTBackup will work. When you do this then the log files will automatically be deleted.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for the information. We are using arcserve to do our daily backup will this software delete the files for us?

Only if you have the Exchange agent for it.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

it looks like we don't have exchange agent installed. If i used the Windows 2000 backup and just backup that directory do i need to do anything to delete the files or will the backup do it for me?

If you use NTBackup it will remove them after it successfully completes.

I have opened a right can of worms with this [mad]with us not having exchange agent running on Arcserve to backup open files we have not being backing up the main mail database (PRIV1.EDB,PRIV1.STM,PUB1.EDB,PUB1.STM)if we use the backup facility the comes with server 2000 will the back up open files? i hope things dont go pair shaped with the server before i get this sorted....

I would leverage the power of Arcserve to do the backups...that's what it's for.

You can use the NTBackup utility on the Exchange box to do the backup b/c the Exchange Admin Utils are loaded. These utils make NTBackup "Exchange Aware", like it's an enlightened being or something.
OR
You can also install the Exchange Admin Utils on another box and use the NTBackup from that one.
OR
You can just stop all of the Exchange services and restart them. This action will flush the logs as well.

For some added excitment to a friday night, read up on the "eseutil" to dump the hex codes of all of your log files in that directory. A glass of wine, a fireplace, and the eseutil will make for a romantic evening you and your partner will never forget...

To use the NTBackup on the exchange box do i need to stop the exchange services? where would i get the Exchange admin utils loaded from? i have tried stopping all of the Exchange services but to no avail i am affraid to say :-(

Not sure about the "ESEUTIL" on a friday night i dont think the mrs will go for a threesome but hey i could try :)

No - you don't need to stop any services.

The Exchange Management Tools are on the Exchange CD. Start the setup and choose just the management tools. I saw a Google search result somewhere that showed you how to manually make NTBackup Exchange aware. You could try looking for that.

I have run the Exchange Cd and clicked on the Exchange Server setup. It brings a menu up and we have got three ticks as the side of Microsoft Exchange + Microsoft Exchange Messaging Collaboration Services and also Microsoft Exchange Sytem Management Tools. i think the tool are install???? with this tick at the side of it.
When i click the system management i get a windows pop up the says before this component can be modified all parent components must have an action selected? this is when i lost my bottle and cancelled it. Anyone any ideas as i dont want to go and uninstall exchange :-( as i will be out of a job

Set the parent one to CUSTOM

If you are trying to backup at the Exchange server then it's most likely the Admin tools are installed already. If you can open up the Exchange System Manager, then they are there.
To verify that NTBackup can see your Exchange installation, open NTBackup up and look for your Information Store under your Exchange server near the bottom. From there, you should be able to click off which stores you want to backup.

Phil Mandryk MCSE, CNE

At long last we have got a backup of the Microsoft Information Store using NTBackup yipeeee :) we have backed it up to a file on the server but we still have about 25gig with of logfiles called E000XXX.LOG i thought the backup might get rid of them for us but it didn't :-( can anyone please help and advise me in what i need to do to get rid of these...
Thanks again in advance for your help

Great news!
If you did a full backup, NTBackup should flush the logs for you, if not then you should look in to using eseutil. It will give you the correct switches to use in order for you to check your log headers in order to see which ones you can delete.
WARNING***I recommend that you move them somewhere and NOT delete them. If you make a mistake then you can always get them back.***

Cheers,

Phil Mandryk MCSE, CNE

ntbackup should event log the Exchange logs it is flushing. "From E00xxxxx.log to E00yyyyy.log". Anything before the first one SHOULD be safe to delete. If it has not removed them, check event log for why.

This is the log information i am getting from NTBackup. The logfiles have now gone and a BIG Yipeee for that :) the only thing i did different was to was to alter the backup log to detailed from summary? We are going to run this backup on a nightly basis so i take it the logfiles will be removed after the job has completed?

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Media created 2/20/2006 at 1:51 PM"

Backup of "ROBINSON02\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 2/20/2006 at 1:51 PM"
Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 2/20/2006 at 1:51 PM.
Folder ROBINSON02\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (ROBINSON02)
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.stm
Folder ROBINSON02\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (ROBINSON02)
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.edb
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.stm
Folder ROBINSON02\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Log Files
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0003F0F.log
E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\E0003F10.log
Backup completed on 2/20/2006 at 2:17 PM.
Directories: 4
Files: 6
Bytes: 7,381,361,552
Time: 25 minutes and 43 seconds

A big Thanks to all of you who have help me with this problem

Regards

Jason

Good to hear, Jason.

Welcome to the world of Exchange.

Phil Mandryk MCSE, CNE

Status
Not open for further replies.