Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

!!! Log file no longer updating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roleki

Technical User
Sep 5, 2007
US
I happened to be browsing the directory where our ERP system's SQL DB is stored and noticed the log file has not been updated in over a month.

Any idea It's a SQL 2005 DB, and the logfile is at 1.1GB for a 6GB DB, set to grow by 10% up to 2GB. The drive it is on has plenty of space, any suggestions?

Is the DB in Simple recovery mode or full?

Thanks

J. Kusch

And are you sure this is the live trans log for the DB?

Thanks

J. Kusch

According to the properties of the DB, the Recovery Model is Simple, with Compatibility Level set to SQL Server 2000 (80), if that's relevant or not.

As far as whether it is the live logfile, if I am reading the Files properties correctly it is. However, the DB resides on one disk and the log on another in the same machine, could that cause a problem?

Being in Simple mode means no transactions are looged (or lets say "most" are not logged).

Thanks

J. Kusch

Ok, so by all appearances this is operating as intended? If so, that's a relief. The explanation makes the fact that all of the log files on that server were last updated at the exact same time a lot less ominous.

What caused me to panic a bit is that our Sharepoint DB has log files that seem up-to-the-minute, while our ERP DB log was last updated a month ago. But, having just checked the Sharepoint DB, that is set for Full recovery.

Thanks for the information, one less headache to deal with.

Well it being in Simple Mode could or could't be a good thing depending on your backup & recovery plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back