Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lockup published application

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeyer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
How can I diagnose a published application that locks up to see if it is Citrix or the application that is locking up?

Run the application from the server's console. Do the exact same steps that lock up the published application. If it locks up the console, you can be 90% sure it is the application itself. Before you rule out Citrix, the application, or anything else, it is best to find a procedure of steps that reliably locks up the application. Without that, it will be MUCH harder to identify. Once you have gotten a good failure procedure, check out filemon.exe and regmon.exe. Run either of them while you do your procedure, and they can provide clues to what is causing the failure. There are freeware version available from sysinternals.com.

Finding a reliable failure procedure is difficult. It is happening on 6 different computers all using Citrix but not on the four not using citrix and happens when one of 4 or 5 steps are taken but only sometimes.
I spend a day at one location throwing these steps at a computer and could not get it to fail. The next day it failed twice.

My condolences to you. Those are always the hardest problems to resolve. You don't want to let a user work at the server console, so getting the application to fail at the console would be very difficult.

Have you checked the server's event log just prior to the failures to see if it logged anything helpful? DO you have Metaframe XPe? If so, you could use Rsource manager to try to log server utilization and performance to identify if a certain number of users running the published application or a certain level of CPU or Memory usage causes the problem.

I hope these ideas help. There is no easy answer to your question, unfortunately.

It's been real tough. I am not getting events other than master browser events and printer events before the actual lock-up. The information I have found on this states that they are not the issue.

I am running Metaframe 1.8

It's going to be tough.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back